Monday, September 20, 2010

Inspire Me Monday: Newseum


 Happy Monday Friends! I had a truly inspiring weekend which was a great start to my preparing for this weeks Inspire Me Monday. I had a great friend in town and we decided to head over and see the Newseum. This was my first time to visit the Newseum, so naturally we headed to the Pulitzer Prize Winning Photography Gallery

Little did I know that upon stepping foot in that gallery I would be caught in a time warp. I made it through the first wall of photos, and sat down in one of their digital booths where you could watch interviews of the photographers and I was LOST for the next three hours. The work and the artistry of the photographers stopped me in my tracks and I was lost in their stories and in the beauty or horror of the moments that they captured.



I learned about the risks that they took to show the world a story, the grief that held them due to what they saw, and the lives they changed forever with actions that were not captured on film. I will say that I was truly inspired. I could not rip myself away, and I have spent the last two days thinking about the images that I saw.

For this week, I am inspired by the bravery of the individuals who document real life, who do not shy away from ugliness, who inspire us by capturing the quiet beauty in times of sadness, the ecstasy of life, and the starkness in humanity. My motto for this week is carpe diem as so many photographers have done before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment