Monday, November 22, 2010

Inspire Me Monday: Ken Heyman


I put together an inspiration board of some of Ken Heyman's work that I loved, and I realized that I hadn't really explained the inspiration for inspiration Monday. I started doing inspiration folders in grad school. I had a professor who created little books of inspiration that he carried around to inspire him.  At some point in grad school I started putting all of those photos I love in a screen saver folder, my screen saver changes ever so often and I get to inspired on a regular basis.  I have gotten more questions about the photos on my screensaver than I can count. I love having certain photos up in my office to remind me that it only takes me in the right place at the right time to do something beautiful. Having so many people comment on the photos made me realize that others are equally inspired, if not equally motivated to go out and find inspiration. So this is how Inspire Me Monday began.

If you guys read my Monday blog last Monday then you probably saw this  weeks inspiration coming, but I needed to do a separate inspiration board on Ken Haymen. I highly recommend you watch some interviews of Ken on Mark Bussell's blog. Ken has some unbelievable stories and shot some of the most famous people of his era.

In the interview Ken talked about how he photographed relationships, and that was the very basis for his photography. What a powerful statement, and fantastic honor. To be able to photograph relationships, and that emotional connection that individuals can give or receive.

After my experiences this year, I can truly say that I am inspired by the sheer capacity of humanity. It astounds me what each individual can endure, withstand, and be capable of. Even in the very worst of circumstances, the touch of a hand can express what words cannot say. A hot meal and conversation can put a stitch in the rips of a heart, and wrapping your arms around allows you to hold each other up. That is what humanity is about, life, death, and tragedy have nothing on love.

I am so amazed by people, by what each individual can endure, withstand, and be capable of. We each have the unique opportunity to effect those around us. And so today I am dually inspired by the humanity of Ken's work and the capacity of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment