Sunday, November 14, 2010

Inspire Me Monday: Margaret Mead

This week I stumbled upon a jewel of an interview, and am currently floating along on a cloud of inspiration. I don't know if any of you believe in fate, but it all came together in a way that can only be described as kismet. On Friday, I was researching non-profits in Zambia and came across one called Mamma Cash, on one of the side panels was the following quote:

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."-Margaret Mead

Honestly, I have never heard of Margaret Mead but I loved the philosophy behind the words. The truth is that I truly believe that individuals can make changes, and that change is started by tiny ripples and not by crashing waves. I posted the quote on my facebook page and didn't think a thing about it.

Then later that night as I was reading my blogs I came across the following article on New York Times The Lens: http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/11/learning-photography-from-margaret-mead/

I was stunned, Margaret Mead is a photographer? Research ensued. It turns out that Margaret Mead is an famed anthropologist (I'm ok with admitting my own ignorance) and Ken Heyman was a former student and then a photographer who traveled with her, together they created two books Family in 1965, and World Enough in 1975.

I sat entranced by videos put together by Mark Bussell as Ken Heyman described his experiences with Margaret Mead, Andy Warhol, Ernest Hemingway, Charlie Chaplin, and more.   I was even more entranced by his photography (which might call for another blog altogether). I instantly jumped on Amazon and purchased Family by Margaret Mead, Coming of Age in Somoa by Margaret Meadand The Trashing of Margaret Mead by Paul Shankman. I was absolutely enthralled by Margaret Mead's story in a way I have not been since I read Dorothea Lange: A Life Beyond Limits by Linda Gordon. Yes it's true, I have yet another woman crush.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I believe we were meant to be friends, and meant to run into each other in this round about fashion. It was only a matter of time even though she passed away in 1978 and I am alive and kicking. Inspiration is not bound by time or death, and I cannot wait to get to know Mrs. Mead better.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cupcake, thanks for sharing your encounter with Margareth Meade. I discovered her only because of that quote you mentioned but you do her a lot of honor as you explore her life. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ma-Luschka...isn't it amazing what words will lead us to do? I love the quote, and think it is all so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete