Sunday, August 8, 2010

How do you start your freelance business from the ground up?

This is the question that is weighing heavily on my mind today. It seems like there is always a procedure to follow, a book to read, but in the end I wonder if it really all comes down to how much you want to be a photographer?  The rest is just details.

More established photographers tell me to update my website, do some heavy reading on the business of photography, social network, enter contests, make a portfolio book, go to photography events, network, and network some more. As a photographer just a few months into the freelance world this is what I can tell you....so far.

I redid my website, but am still questioning if I need to do more editing. I always want to wait until my next project is completed before sending it on to someone.

My book list from the date that I decided to go freelance includes the following:
 Best Business Practices for Photographers (Second Edition) by John Harrington
ASMP Professional Business Practices in Photography, 7th Edition
Iacocca by Lee Iacocca
The New Rules of Marketing and PR by David Meerman Scott
The Dam Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers by Peter Krogh

Have any of these books helped? Sure. I have learned alot! But more than likely I will be referencing them for the rest of my life before I can store any of that information in my short term memory.



I currently read any photography blog that I find interesting, which leads my google reader with an outrageous amount of reading material. I'm not sure that I will ever catch up.


I am trying to be good at social networking. I like blogging, hate twittering, and am doing my best to spread the word about my business. I'm still not sure anyone reads this though.

I bought FotoQuote & FotoBiz, only to decide that I will probably make up my own forms as I don't like the format of FotoBiz.

I recieve the list serve list on photography contests all over the world, and from various photography newsletters. I research every one before deciding whether our not I'm willing to plunk down the 20-100 dollar entry fee.



This week I started to put together an actual portfolio book, but found myself confused about what you in include, how to present both horizontals and vertical images beautifully, and asked myself over and over again. Do I have what it takes?Is a single photo editor/wire service going to understand why I capture what I capture.


Since I just returned to D.C. I am back on the photography event circuit, which for me starts with WPOW happy hour next week.


Here's the truth as I see it. Maybe it doesn't matter how many books you read, how many photo contests you enter, or how good (or bad) your photos are. Maybe it's more about spunk. Are you willing to go up to bat for your photos? Are you willing to go and see every photo editor/wire service/photographer you know (or your friends know) and take the inevitable smack down when they don't like your work. Can you take the criticism? And better yet after that criticism will you still go home and pick up your camera and say, "I'm doing it anyway!"


I know that I don't have the answers when it comes to how you make it as a freelancer. I'm willing to try almost anything that has worked for others. But maybe I just have to find my own way. The truth is sometimes things fall in place and your dreams come true. Other times you just have to keep on keeping on and hope that day is just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment