Monday, August 23, 2010

Sebastiao Salgado


I don't know about you, but on Monday morning after my weekend activities I can always use some inspiration to motivate me to action. So I've decided that the first thing I should do on Monday mornings is to find something that inspires me. Be it other photography work, architecture, light, design, or individuals.

One of my favorite quotes is by Henry Thoreau, "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them." To me this is a call to action, a challenge to dream big no matter what the costs. Your future is what you make it, and what inspires you are clues to your best work.

That being said, I thought I'd start this week of by visiting my first introduction to documentary work, Sebastiao Salgado. What strikes me about every single one of his images is the dignity given to the subject, and the beauty even in the moments of sadness.

I think that I have always admire photographers whose work strives for dignity. But after being witness to the photo tourism that took place in Haiti after the earthquake, I must admit that this subject has been on my mind of late. Is shock value worth demoralizing our photography subjects?

Salgado proves that the story or image stands on its own. His work is better than a java jolt on this Monday morning. Hopefully he'll inspire your week too.

3 comments:

  1. Crystaline my love... thank you for such insightful and though-provoking commentary. Have I told you lately how much I simply love you? You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CC- You are always my biggest fan, what would I do without you?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muito bom, Crystaline!

    ReplyDelete