Thursday, August 5, 2010

Women in Afghanistan: Inspirational Portraits by Jody Bieber


I recently came across this video interview with Jody Bieber on her portraits of women in Afghanistan. I am always drawn to photographers who give their subjects the dignity which they deserve. I was especially drawn to the Time's cover image of Aisha. When I look at the photograph and see this beautiful woman who has been disfigured by the rules of her society, I am proud that the photographer chose to show Aisha is such a beautiful way. The luminance in the light tells a tremendous story in a single instant. I think that this is a testimonial to the power of portrayal which photographers hold. I have so much respect for photographers who will fore go the shock factor and tell a story. Jody made a instant fan of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment